A few months back I made the post Living Alone vs. Living Lonely. At the time I was going from living alone to living with three roommates, and now just a few months later I am moving to a situation with just one roommate. It’s a long story to say the least.
Anyway, when I made the post I had decided that living alone wasn’t for me for a few reasons.
- It’s expensive.
- It’s lonely.
- There’s a lot of responsibility all on one person.
I still completely agree with those reasons and even have a few more to add, such as how scary it can be to come home to a dark apartment and feel like you have to clear all the rooms before settling in for the night, to make sure no one is hiding in the closet.
However, after living with a group of friends now, I also have some pros and cons for that, as well as some reasons why living alone isn’t so bad after all.
Pros of having multiple roommates:
- Social interaction. If you’re anything like me, sometimes being able to just relax on the couch and binge watch Netflix with other people is way better than doing it alone. Having roommates basically guarantees someone will be around to do that.
- Sharing responsibilities. Do you really hate doing the dishes? Chances are you can strike up an agreement where if you do *insert chore they hate* then they’ll do them for you. Everybody wins.
- Money. Living is suddenly cheaper if you’re not the only one paying every bill.
Cons of having multiple roommates:
- It’s easy to get irritated. Someone is inevitably going to be showering when you want to shower. Someone will want to blast the TV when you’re trying to sleep. Someone will eat your leftovers.
- Everyone feels like they’re doing more than their share. And on the same note, everyone is also going to feel like someone else isn’t doing enough. Whether it’s with bills, cleaning or grocery purchasing, someone will somehow always feel shafted.
- Privacy is out the window. Suddenly what you choose to do is other people’s business too, because they live with you. There’s a lot of thinly veiled criticism.
Having roommates is nice, don’t get me wrong. I loved always having someone around to talk to, listen to and do things with. However, going from living alone to living with three other people and their two dogs is hard.
On that note there are a few things I miss about living alone.
- You can take as long as you want. I am currently typing this while taking a bubble bath. You can’t just lay around in the bathtub for as long as you want if there are three other people living there who also want to use the bathroom.
- Things are always however you want them. If you leave dishes in the sink, no one is going to bitch at you to wash them any sooner than is convenient. If you want to decorate something a certain way, watch a certain show or order a certain food, you don’t have to consult with anyone else.
- Peace and quiet. When you go to bed at night, no one is still yelling at the TV while they play video games. If you want to sleep in, no one is being loud and waking you up.
That said, I honestly don’t know what the better option is. I don’t think there is one. Any way you slice it there are pros and cons, it just depends which are most important to you and what makes the most sense for your situation.